Adobo Recipe. Learn how to make Adobo with this Filipino Adobo Recipe. Adobo can be made with either chicken or pork, but Adobo is typically made with chicken. In some Adobo’s we’ve tasted, they included liver; add some healthy chicken liver if you like, but for those who don’t enjoy liver, feel free to leave it out.
Adobo Recipe Estimated cooking time:
Adobo Recipe Ingredients:
* 1/2 kilo pork, cut in cubes
* 1/2 kilo chicken, cut into pieces
* 1 head garlic, minced
* 1/2 yellow onion, diced
* 1/2 cup soy sauce
* 1 cup vinegar
* 2 cups of water
* 1 teaspoon paprika
* 5 laurel leaves (bay leaves)
* 4 tablespoons of cooking oil or olive oil
* 2 tablespoons cornstarch
* Salt and pepper to taste
* 3 tablespoons water
Adobo Recipe Cooking Instructions:
* In a big sauce pan or wok, heat 2 tablespoons of oil then sauté the minced garlic and onions.
* Add the pork and chicken to the pan. Add 2 cups of water, 1/4 cup of soy sauce, vinegar, paprika and the bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or when meat is tender.
* Remove the pork and chicken from the sauce pan and on another pan, heat cooking oil and brown the pork and chicken for a few minutes.
* Mix the browned pork and chicken back to the sauce and add cornstarch dissolved in water to thicken.
* Add salt and/or pepper if desired
* Bring to a boil then simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
* Serve hot with the adobo gravy and plain rice.
Adobo Recipe Cooking Tips:
* You have the option to add crushed ginger to the onions and garlic when sautéing. Ginger adds a unique flavor to your pork/chicken adobo.